If you’ve just ordered your EcoQube C and want to know what you need to do when it arrives, this page is for you!
We made the EcoQube C to be absolutely hassle-free and easy to set-up and maintain. And to help you make your EcoQube experience exactly that, here’s a couple of tips and tricks:
Before your EcoQube C arrives
- Pick a spot in your house or office (or anywhere, really) to put your EcoQube. This spot should not get direct sunlight, as it will encourage algae growth, and should be visible for your own viewing pleasure
- Every EcoQube C comes with a set of Basil seeds. If you’d like you to have another herb or small plant instead of Basil, you can prepare a clipping of it
- If your EcoQube C package does not come with aquarium decor, or if you did not get any aquarium decor, you can purchase them with us on Amazon or off our site. Check out our community’s set-ups for inspiration! Here are also some great aquatic plants for your EcoQube C
- DO NOT GET A FISH. That is for later, when the root system of your plant is fully grown and capable of being part of an aquaponics filtration system
When your EcoQube C arrives
- Unpack it and make sure everything you have ordered is in the box. The default package ordered on Amazon includes the EcoQube C itself, an inline remote attached to the wire, the white plant medium, and seeds. If anything is missing, do drop us an email
- DO NOT DISCARD YOUR WHITE PLANT MEDIUM. This is placed in a net pot under your light. It looks like white foam, and it is the best medium to grow your plant in an aquaponics system. If you have watched our EcoQube C set-up video, you may think that this white foam is the faulty one we described, but it is not. This is a new and improved white foam, and it works fine!
- Set up your EcoQube C according to the instructions provided. You can also find those same instructions here: inline remote / wireless remote
- Once you’ve set it up and placed your seeds or a cutting of your desired plant, all that’s left is to wait!
Once your plant is an inch tall
- This is when you get your fish! We highly recommend a single Betta fish, though Neon Tetras also do very well in the EcoQube C. As your plant grows and requires more nutrients, you can also consider adding snails and shrimp
- Read this post to learn how your fish and plant work in perfect harmony to maintain a healthy ecosystem in your EcoQube C!
- Don’t be afraid to trim your plant when it gets too big! Just take a pair of clippers (or really, really sharp scissors) and clip off any leaves that are extending too far out
And that’s it, folks! It looks like a lot when it’s listed like this, but we promise you that that’s the most you have to do for your EcoQube C in its life. From here on, all you’ve got to do is remember to feed your fish. No water changes. No filter changes. Everything in your EcoQube C works together so you don’t have to.
If you run into any problems at any time, don’t be afraid to contact our customer service team!